Monday

Accident on Second Day


July 3, 1972

Approaching Lafontane tunnel entrance (in my 1971 Ford Pinto) I was completely stopped. Wet pavement, raining hard. A 69 Ford Torino struck me from behind. The force of the impact pushed me into the 69 Thunderbird I had stopped for. Previously there was 5-10 feet clear distance between us. Damage Severe. Front end wiped out, left rear quarter panel + entire back end wiped out.

Food and most equipment left in car, i.e. 2 tents, fire extinguisher, Joan's shovel, cribbage board, canteen, firewood, coleman stove and lantern, 8 cans sterno,2 complete cans coleman fuel, 1/2 of one Palco 5 man cook kit, hammer, True Temper Hatchet, my radio, ground tarp and Goldstar First Aid Kit.

All clothing is with us. We have the two cameras + Lorin's binoculars. The two sleeping bags are also with us as well as the two baseball gloves.



My car... after becoming the center of a Pinto sandwich.



The 69 Thunderbird I was pushed into.



This was a REAL "international incident." A car registered in Michigan, USA involved in a collision with a car from Montreal, Quebec (French speaking only) and Ontario, Canada!



This is the car that hit me.





No comments: