Saturday

The story of my trip


July 1, 1972


Me in my infamous 1971 Pinto!


(Preface written August, 2007)


This is about my trip to Prince Eward Island. The following pages are copied directly from the journal I kept during the trip, plus some scans of some scrapbook items.

I had heard about the approaching total eclipse of the sun, so I decided to go there. My previous camping trip in 1971 was a solo trip to Isle Royale in the upper peninsula of Michigan. This time I asked my 15 year old brother Lorin to go with me. I was too young to worry about going 1,600 miles, Detroit through Canada to Prince Edward Island, with only a map and nothing else to guide me.

The one essential item I ended using the most was my Shell credit card. All my other supplies were packed in Stroh's beer cases. Trust me, we packed light.

The only words of advice from my parents and friends were "Lorin, take good care of Arthur."

So on a bright sunny day we left on an adventure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I first saw your post about our trip the first thought that came to me was what everybody told me, "take care of your brother".